Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Back to Zamalek!

Sunday May 11th: After the longest (and maybe the best?) week I've had in a long time, I passed out on the train and slept for pretty much the whole time. It wasn't as long of a ride, maybe 10 hours this time. It's nice when the only thing you have to worry about for a week is what temple or monument you're going to see next.
I thought it was going to be great to get back to Zamalek, but at first it was far from that. Not a very smooth arrival. We got to the Hotel Flamenco about 7am, but apparently someone didn't realize we can't check into our rooms until noon. So we we're homeless for about 5 hours, which wasn't great but allowed me to get some stuff done (although we missed out on the complimentary breakfast!) I also haven't gone a week without the internet in about 8 years, so that was hard to get used to and nice to get back to the real world.
At night, some of us and Jeff (our engineering coordinator for the trip) went to a great restaraunt in Zamalek called La Bodega. Very fancy, but it was nice to splurge for a change (even though I only spent $14 U.S., I love this conversion rate!) I had duck, and probably would have been a 30 or 40 dollar meal back in the States. Kind of a "going away" meal for Jeff too, as he is going for a trip to the Red Sea to go diving before leaving to head home on Wednesday or Thursday.
Fluids started the next morning(Monday), so it wasn't a late night.

No comments: